How do you feel before your dental appointment: nervous or downright fearful? Having nerves before you arrive is common. In fact, studies show that about 36 percent of people struggle with some form of fear of dental treatment. However, you don’t want to avoid the dentist because of anxiety. That can put your oral health at risk. We wanted to review the signs you have dental anxiety and how we help you overcome your dental nerves.
What Are the Symptoms of Dental Anxiety
Everyone responds to stress differently. So, you may experience a few of these symptoms before your appointment:
- Racing heartbeat
- Obvious distress
- Sleeplessness the night before
- Nervousness that gets progressively worse
Dealing with dental anxiety can be caused by a variety of things. For some people, the fear of pain makes them the most nervous. Or you may struggle because of a previous bad experience. Getting to know the root cause is important because we can discuss solutions at your next appointment.
How We Help Relieve Your Dental Anxiety
At Silver Leaf Dentistry, we make sure you are comfortable starting with your very first visit. We begin by getting to know you and your dental concerns. You can take time to share what worries you the most about and how we can address those fears. Here are other ways we make sure your visit with us is anxiety-free:
- Distractions – No need to listen to the sights and sounds of our equipment. You can watch a movie while we work, so you don’t see or hear anything uncomfortable.
- Regular Breaks – Even if you are here for a simple cleaning, you can take a break if you need one. Visiting the dentist can be stressful, and we want to ensure you are in control as much as possible.
- Advanced Technology – We have invested in technology that makes your visit go smoothly. For example, digital X-rays capture images of your teeth quickly and our 3-D printer makes many of your restorations in-house.
- Cozy Amenities – We make you feel comfortable by offering you a blanket or pillow if you need one. No need to be chilly inside our office!
- Private Care Rooms – You’ll have peace of mind by getting treatment in our private patients. You can discuss your dental anxiety without worrying about other patients nearby hearing you.
These are one of the many ways we help you with your nerves about your appointment. If you notice signs you have dental anxiety, we can help. Call Silver Leaf Dentistry today at 720-504-2539 for an appointment in Longmont, CO, or request an appointment online.